No two water irrigation systems are the same, and every product is best suited for a different kind of property. At Earth Development, our experts provide commercial landscaping services in Madison, Milwaukee, and beyond, know how to choose the right irrigation system, set it up, and maintain your property throughout the year.
There are many types of irrigation systems, so whether you’re looking for drip irrigation or sprinklers, or a surface irrigation system, we have the expertise to ensure you get the right product. For commercial properties, we typically recommend drip irrigation and sprinkler systems.
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each commercial irrigation system.
Drip Irrigation Systems For Commercial Properties
A commercial drip irrigation system is a more concentrated form of irrigation, designed to use as little water as possible. Landscape drip irrigation is also known as a “micro-irrigation system.” It uses a series of small tubes that run across your lawn, and the water that is released by these tubes is determined by regulators and valves throughout the system.
Areas that need more water will receive more water, and areas that are already saturated will not be watered. This kind of trickle irrigation is highly efficient and saves you money on water.
Advantages Of Drip Irrigation For Commercial Properties
- Use Less Fertilizer: Drip irrigation means less soil erosion, which means that the fertilizer you apply to the soil stays where it is and your plants get the nutrition they need.
- Prevent Disease In Plants: Because the water never gets sprayed into the air, it doesn’t come into contact with plants’ leaves. This helps prevent disease in those plants.
- Avoid Overspray: Overspray can get windows wet and may even affect people who walk on your property during the day. Drip irrigation eradicates this problem.
- Waste Less Water: Because this system only irrigates parts of your property that need it, you’ll save money on water and waste less of it.
Disadvantages Of Drip Irrigation For Commercial Properties
- Requires Professional Installation: While drip irrigation systems do require professional installation, which is an initial cost, you can save money in the long run on initial water savings, and also by avoiding the need to replace your lawn because of improper watering.
- Requires Maintenance: Your system will also require maintenance, but with the help of a local professional from Earth Development, that shouldn’t be a problem!
Sprinkler Irrigation for commercial properties
Landscape sprinkler systems are sometimes preferred by commercial property owners. It depends on what kind of property you have, your budget, and your general needs.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of using a spray irrigation system, and a few of the downsides.
Advantages of Sprinkler Irrigation for commercial properties
- Adjust Spray Patterns: You can adjust the amount of water that your sprinkler system distributes, and even change the way that it is distributed by adjusting spray patterns. Change the nozzle heads and you can make water go further, and apply more or less of it.
- Smart Technology: Many sprinkler systems are designed to be used with your phone, allowing you to adjust watering from your cell phone. You can change the pattern, the amount of watering, schedules, and more.
- Cover Larger Areas: A landscape sprinkler system can also cover larger areas, making it perfect for bigger properties.
- You Can Use Them Anywhere: Sprinklers can also be used virtually everywhere. Just pick up the sprinkler and move them to wherever your landscape needs it.
Disadvantages Of Sprinkler Irrigation For Commercial Properties
- Can Be Expensive: If you don’t already have a sprinkler irrigation system, you probably need one. While there is certainly a cost to installing a new system, over time it can save you money and effort – and could even prevent you from needing to spend large sums of money replacing a diseased or unhealthy lawn.
- Affected by Wind: Given that sprinklers spray water around your property, wind can affect what parts of your property get enough water. You may want to take extra caution on windy days to ensure that the property is irrigated evenly.
Why Not Leave It To the Experts?
Either a traditional sprinkler system or a more advanced drip irrigation system can help you keep your commercial property healthy – and our landscaping experts at Earth Development help you maintain your lawn and plants throughout the year.
For advice on keeping your lawn properly irrigated and a free quote for our landscaping services, why not give us a call today?
Our teams keep your lawn lush, green, and healthy throughout the spring and summer!