We all love a luscious, green, full lawn. But achieving this with natural grass? It’s a pain, to say the least.
Green grass is somewhat of a staple when we think of the quintessential American home, but it’s not cheap, easy, or convenient to maintain. But if you’ve given up on your lawn and are looking for cheap no grass backyard ideas, you’ve come to the right place.
Instead of maintaining an expensive grass lawn, our team at Earth Development is offering some go-to no grass landscaping ideas for a yard without grass.
Yards Without Grass - Things to Consider
A landscape design without grass can be just as beautiful as those with this expensive feature. Replacing your current lawn or simply reducing the area of natural grass can prove to be a cost-effective change and can elevate your yard for more outdoor enjoyment.
Before you get too deep into your landscape ideas without grass, let’s first go over a few things you’ll want to consider before taking the plunge. The key here is to narrow in on what you’re looking to use your yard for!
- Is the yard more for aesthetic or functional purposes?
- Do you entertain in your yard frequently or hope to?
- Will children and pets be playing in the yard?
- How much will you grill and cook outdoors?
- What features are most important to you? (i.e., a garden, playground, green area for dogs, etc.)
While we are all about low-maintenance landscaping, finding the right option for you depends on your unique answer to these questions. You want to get the most out of your yard, and the right landscaping can help elevate your experience.
No Grass Landscaping Cost
So we know maintaining a natural grass lawn is pricey, but what about the cost of no grass landscaping?
The cost will depend on your answers to our previous questions. Sure, creating a concrete patio to entertain on won’t be too expensive, but building an outdoor kitchen? Definitely one of the more expensive backyard ideas no grass solutions. Getting what you want within budget is totally doable, but the scale to which you do it will vary.
From inexpensive patio furniture to full wiring of an outdoor sink and wood-fire stove, the price can vary dramatically. All the more reason to narrow in on what you want beforehand.
Landscape Design Ideas Without Grass
There’s no shortage of no grass landscaping ideas! From kid-friendly playgrounds to elegant and romantic gazebos, we have a whole host of ways you can use your yard, even without natural grass.
Check it out!
Don’t spend a lot of time in your yard? No problem - gravel makes the perfect low-maintenance solution. This is a great landscape idea for frequently neglected back yards.
- Basically no maintenance
- Keeps weeds at bay
- Easy for pets to run on
- Makes for a great driveway and walkway
- Lacks color
- Can be dangerous with small children
- Not great for playing on
One of our favorite things about mulch is that it can add a dose of color to your lawn while simultaneously limiting weeds - all for low maintenance and low-cost finish.
- Adds a pop of color
- Good for playing on
- Helps prevent weeds
- Ideal for surrounding plants
- Needs to be replenished and refreshed over time
- Can track indoors
- Young children can choke on it
Got a shady yard? Moss is a great pick for you! A moss garden can have your yard looking super lush without the high-maintenance of real grass.
- Low maintenance
- Grows well in shady lawns
- Looks beautiful and comes in different varieties for your taste
- Not great for heavy foot traffic or for playing on
- Must be watered during dry seasons
Fake it till you make it! For lawns without grass, you can still get that perfect, green, grassy look. No, really. With materials like synthetic turf, you can mimic the look and feel of grass without the high cost and maintenance. We love artificial grass for a no grass front yard design, but you can also implement it all over!
- Gives the luscious, green grass look
- Ideal for play areas and pets
- No natural grass-like maintenance! Skip the mowing, weeding, watering, etc.
- Long-lasting yard solution
- The initial cost is steeper than other no-grass landscaping options
- Must keep clean and free of bacteria with regular maintenance (and water)
Perfect for entertainers or those that love to spend time eating and relaxing outdoors, a patio is a way to go. This is a great compromise, as you can have a patio take up a limited space in the backyard, surrounding it with other features like faux grass, planters, or a garden. It’s the perfect, functional solution.
- Can create a unique, attractive design that’s cohesive with the rest of the yard
- Ideal for entertaining
- Creates space for grilling
- Can increase home value
- Easy to clean!
- May crack over time
- The cost of installation is more pricey
- Can hurt for children to fall on
For the perfect mix of textures and colors, we love a rock garden landscape design. Mixing a variety of rocks with bright foliage, you can get a unique, ethereal design that will perfectly complete your lawn.
- Enhances curb appeal
- No water needed!
- Can find rocks anywhere
- Can be installed any time of year
- It may look bland without incorporating foliage
- Can be harsh to walk on
Fountains and Ponds
To create an elegant focal point in your yard without grass, we recommend installing a fountain or pond. These come in a lot of different designs to perfectly match your aesthetic and are a unique touch that will set your yard apart from the rest.
- Easy to maintain
- Comes in a variety of styles - from classic fountains to koi ponds
- Creates a unique focal point
- May attract bugs and animals
- Can require cleaning
Green Thumb Veggies
Farm to table is in, right? So why not create your own vegetable garden! While a vegetable garden may not be the easiest to maintain and may take a bit of a green thumb, it can make a valuable addition to your lawn (and plate).
- Turns into a hobby or fun activity for everyone
- Saves money on grocery store visits
- Uses lawn in a functional way
- Requires regular watering and weeding
- Needs maintenance and a watchful eye
- Takes a bit of experience to get right
- May struggle in colder seasons
If you have a larger lawn in need of a major upgrade, a beautiful gazebo can instantly take it to the next level. This is a lovely addition to any yard, providing a space to entertain and relax that’s a bit more elevated than a classic patio.
- Improves yard aesthetics
- Creates shade in a sunny yard
- Great for entertaining and outdoor activities
- Higher cost to install
- May require maintenance - including staining or painting
Ready to make your kid’s day? Install a playground! This creates a fun space for children to play, ensuring your yard is the place to be for your kids and their friends, creating memories that last a lifetime.
- Fun and functional space
- Can go over artificial grass or mulch
- Can be large, taking up a bigger portion of the yard
- Children may outgrow it
- Can require maintenance to keep in shape
- More expensive to install
Camp Fire Vibes
A great, affordable choice for the entertainer is a firepit. With this choice, you create a designated area to entertain that’s not too large. Plus, it’s pretty easy to install (you could even do it yourself)!
- Virtually no maintenance needed
- Creates space for entertaining
- Ideal for late and cold nights
- Depending on the design, can be expensive to install
The list of no grass landscaping ideas could go on and on, but at the end of the day, it’s about your preferences and needs for your lawn. Big on entertaining? A patio, gazebo, or firepit is the way to go. Have a lot of kids that need distractions? Playground and artificial lawns can provide the perfect space for them to work off some energy.
No matter your lawn goals, our experts at Earth Development can help you achieve the perfect landscaping for a yard without grass. To get started with your idea, call us at 920-406-7501, and we will work to bring your vision to life.